Saturday, December 10, 2011

Burlington Santa Suit 5k Race Report

Ho!  Ho!  Ho!

Everything went according to plan.

Gun time: 29:51
Garmin time: 28:34
Chip time: 28:30

The visualization really helped.  I had run this race in my mind about 12 times before I actually ran it.  Here's how it was tracked on the Garmin:


WaypointTargetActual
1I am waiting for my execution on the gallows; after the start gun, run with the crowd to waypoint 2, this is traffic avoidance and avoiding being traffic; keep they pace crisp and on target; enjoy (you're in a friggin Santa run!)enjoying the moment I am blessed and loved
2check the watch at this portion a few more times than usual, don't worry about banking time or speeding up too much, a little over target pace is ok at this point, see if you can pick off a runner or a pair of runners that seem to be running the same pace as you; you're doing great!  Isn't this fun?looked down at the watch and the crowd was really really bad at the start - 10:19 pace at this point ... start to run wide of the pylons and start passing the slow runners 
3start counting the people you can pick off on this hill; yell the number out as you do (if you want).  Don't worry.  It's not you.  It's the "Jerry Rice" inside of you!still not very thinned out, but starting to be ... passed at least 18 people here, was passed by 5 very fluid runners
4take it wide and avoid the crowdwide
5It's all downhill from here baby!  Pick up the pace, and get the heart beating, shake out some of the cob webs.  This is a warm-up for the finishing sprint.  Feel the power in your legs, the long, confident stride, the way the body works together to driveChecked the watch here and I was 9:17.  Began several series of long stride floating sprints to catch several people in this part of the race.  Brought my pace to 9:11 at the end of this part.
6Good, you're warmed up for the finishing sprint, keep your eye on the pace, you should be on target now; more on target - even better.  Visually check your shoe laces, how's the Santa Suit pieces, what can you fix to make sure your sprint has nothing to take your mind off of being awesome.  Keep an eye on your pace, relax, take some good centering breathes.  Feel the body cleaning out the muscles of waste and refilling them with fuel.Check - check - check pace is still 9:11 at the turn
7I can see the final turn to the finish, the runners are very scattered here, there's probably about 800 runners ahead of me at this point - I'm going to start passing more runners here.  My body will respond.looked down to the end of the race ... people yelling to us you can make it ... found a lot of desire and some energy
8I've built up a lot of momentum - but man! I've got so much energy - I lean forward and run on my toes, my muscles tight and powering like the Olympic 100-meter-race.  My feet tap out a continuous acceleration.HOLY SH*T I'm running even faster!  Watch is reading avg pace 9:08!
928:5928:30

Here's the official race line from sportstats.ca.  RD and volunteers did a great job, but if they want more people next year they have to fix the signup process a bit: far too many long line-ups and chaos with washrooms.  Everything in one building coming off of one hallway.  You actually had to read your bib number off of a wall in the busy hallway, then go and line-up in the proper row for your bib number.  Better design next time - line up by the first letter of your name like last year.

22 comments:

Laura said...

CONGRATS!!! awesome job.

bobbi said...

Wow!! Speedy! Great job!

RockStarTri said...

Well done. I love it when a plans comes together!

Teamarcia said...

Congrats grasshoppa! It was in you all the time.
I just did a race with that 'go find your bib number on microscopic printout on the wall' BS. Totally unacceptable.

a runner said...

So So So AWESOME!!!!!!

HO HO HO... merrrrrry christmas :)

Kate Geisen said...

Way to go!! That's the best feeling, when you have more at the end. Congratulations! You worked so hard to break 30 min, and now you're crushing it. :)

Paul said...

Told you you'd nail it. You had it all sussed out....(like I would).

Great PR run! (and dressed as S.C. too.)

Anonymous said...

**BOOM**

Unknown said...

Nice! Way to go!

The Unexpected Runner said...

Congrats! Crowded courses are challenging but you rocked it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I love hearing when things go according to plan. :)

Ewa said...

HA! Now you will have to beat that time! Have you thought of that when you were speeding up???
Congrats, Wojtek! :-) Great job!

Caratunk Girl said...

That is awesome!! Congrats!

Irene said...

Sweet! I hope you had enough energy to do a happy dance right after.:)

Anonymous said...

Most excellent. And I guess you could say I called it!

Jennifer said...

Ho Ho Ho is right!! Happy holidays Andrew you deserve it!

ajh said...

Yeah! Glad you had a great race.

Bob said...

Way to go Andy! Congratulations!

Johann said...

Well done Andrew! Super PR! I'll post the peeing on a leopard story soon.

Kenley said...

Way to knock your shorts off there on that 5k man. I am afraid to run a 5k. I might get an unpleasant visit from the G-man! Take care, and thanks for sharing the time line. Very cool!

Loan offer here said...

Available Instant Loan Offer For Everyone In Need Of Loan
We stand apart from other lenders because
we believe in customer service just 2% interest rate,
both long and short term you have come
to the right place I'll advise you can contact us via email
abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
whatspp Number +918929490461
Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

Loan offer here said...

Available Instant Loan Offer For Everyone In Need Of Loan
We stand apart from other lenders because
we believe in customer service just 2% interest rate,
both long and short term you have come
to the right place I'll advise you can contact us via email
abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
whatspp Number +918929490461
Mr Abdullah Ibrahim