Friday, January 7, 2011

Winter Running Gear

I ran track intervals on Tuesday.  I've been running track intervals for the last 12 or 13 weeks.  I felt a great desire to impress Jill with my speed so I hunkered down to launch fire from my feet.  About 600 meters into 1600 meter interval, I did a Mary Lou Retton split!  So I start turning to the straight away and my front leg gives out and I'm sliding into first.  I got up and finished, ... then progressively slower than I wanted to.

Because the whole city is cold and dry, and the track I run on had about a quarter-inch of powdery snow on it (and a bunch of cratered frozen footprints and potholes), I assumed that my regular running shoes would be fine as usual.  

I went online and ordered some yaktrax but they still haven't given me a shipping date ... so I went to my local Canadian Tire store (Garmin says: 2.42 km from my front door) and picked up a pack of XL Gripons.


I went running on them today for a little fun, but needed to tear through some snow-covered fields to see them work ... they were sort of annoying on the dry road.  They worked pretty well and I could see how the initial position I had placed them in on my shoe altered a bit in the way I regularly struck my foot on the ground over time.

The rubber is not reinforced, and I can see it catastrophically ripping apart while I'm turning on the track - but so what!  They only cost me $12 CDN ($12.04 US) at the store.  Made in Taiwan, with some Chinglish instructions "She should purchase the next larger size for use on the ski boots".  I plan to pocket them for my warmup and cooldown and only put them on at the track.  Maybe they'll last a bit longer.

Tomorrow I run part of my training as the FYTO Virtual 5k.

I've even put together a race bib for myself (please excuse my presumptuousness - but I was first to register from Mississauga!)

23 comments:

Georgia Snail said...

1/4" Sheet Metal Screws(.63cm) work really well...I would not recommend putting them in your brand spanking new shoes, perhaps a pair that has a few miles left in them.....

Jennifer said...

Luckily for me snow/ice is not an issue, but I hope you get what you need so you can keep running. Great "numbers" from your last post!Keep up the excellent work Andrew!

Caratunk Girl said...

I hear ya on the snow/ice running! I have IceSpikes and they work really great.

Andrea said...

I've always wanted a #1 bib!

Still Running said...

You can get Yak Trax at Sporting Life at Sherway if you want to give up on your order. My husband tried them on his hilly, snowy run last night and loved them.

Anonymous said...

snow? what's that?? :-/

new orleans termite.

Adrienne said...

I'm a fair weather skier there's no way I would RUN in stuff like that....but good for you :)

Nej said...

I put sheet metal screws in a pair of older (but not old enough to retire) shoes...and they work great!!!!!!!!! Black ice, snow, dry pavement...I forget I had them on. :-)

KovasP said...

I just use the thorns from my cactus as spikes

KovasP said...

If I'm feeling extra crafty, I sometimes make Tarahumara style sandals from snow tires.

Anonymous said...

I have those Andrew and I find them great when it's icy out, but I've never tried them on the track!

Molly said...

love your race bib! I have a pair of yaktrax that I love, gives you that much more confidence in messy weather!

Jill said...

Good luck virtual 5K; I'd better see a 1st place from Mississauga!

misszippy said...

I had them before I ever had yaktrax and I found that they lasted for years, actually. Never tried them on the track, however!

Anne-Marie said...

Cool idea and not a bad price at all! I have never tried any kind of running shoe traction device, but was wishing I had some when I went running last weekend and was slipping all over icy trails. (apparently, snow/ice melts slower in the parks than on the roads...)

If I had a cactus, I'd try Kovas' idea...

Love the image of doing a Mary Lou Retton split mid-interval :)

Good luck with the virtual race!!

Nitmos said...

So far I've avoided the winter run slip and fall. 10 year streak!

I am doomed.

BrianFlash said...

Nice bib for the virtual 5K! I'm going bibless for my race - don't tell anyone.

Tara said...

Good luck with the virtual 5K! I really like the cactus on the bib...funny.

so did you at least impress Jill with the slide into first?

Fruit Fly said...

Ah! I've been wondering how you all run in the snow. Now I know!

Have fun with your 5K!

AnnaMac said...

I could use some of those in Michigan -- I've had a few close calls this season.

Chris K said...

Dude, where did you buy those? I need some, they are flying off the shelf in San Diego and now I can't get one pair.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Great Bib. I wish I knew how to do that. Don't mind Chris - I know he's hoping for a foot of snow in Cali tonight!

Shawn said...

Asics WR2...spikey cool things