Thursday, February 17, 2011

Final Race Strategy - 1:26:30


  • I have been very busy participating in my next start-up.  
  • The term sheet is setup and most of the business plan is written.  
  • I have feelers out for Developers, Quality Assurance and User Interface Designers.  
  • We have one omnibus patent drafted and I'm starting a grant proposal to the Federal Government for Industrial Research Assistance.  
  • I'm so busy, I have apparently forgot to pay for parking down town, and I have received two parking tickets in the last two days totaling $70.  I actually paid at the meter both times, but the first ticket was for not having my bumper entirely clear of the post that marked the end of the parking zone.  My plate and a bolt were past the post in the no parking zone - and rules are rules.  The other ticket was handed out at 3:44 pm, for a payment slip paid up until 3:40 pm.  Unfortunately I was at my car at 3:41 to listen to the traffic report on the radio and the ticket was already on the windshield.  No one said that the meter guy's time is synchronized with the meter's time!

Ok, what was my point?

Oh ya, I love you all and I haven't visited your blogs ...

... and I spoke with Jill, a.k.a. the Colorado Running Computer (who just posted twice in one week! maybe a third time coming.) and she said (paraphrase) to me regarding strategy:


Listen you dumbass maple-syrup slurping wannabe - you can't project your fast 5k sprints into predicting speeds for distances like 8 miles.  The 10k is better predictor.  You have to keep the pace of 10:45 for the entire race.  If you do not keep this pace and start to run faster before mile 7, your testicles will collapse to your knees, your colon with subject out from your anus, your left lung will collapse as your right ventricle begins to fade into oxygen-deficiency and you will bonk just feet short of the finish line and cause a scene as women from the over-60 club will be chicking you until the ambulance arrives (cheer up, if they are merciful they will drag your shoe with chip attached across the finish line).


Plan to finish in 1:26:30.


So that's my strategy.  I run 10:45 for 7 miles and then I run faster than 10:45 for 1 mile (if I can of course).  This seems rather easy.  I won't be packing water, but I will have a few shot bloks with me.  I'll be wearing less clothing than some of the most recent training runs, as it will be warmer and I expect to be very hot during the race.

Here's the list of registered runners, of which 174 will be running the 8 Mile distance.  And here's the results from last year.  As you can see I'll be pretty nearly the last guy to finish this distance at this speed.  So why am I running again?

Oh ya, I love it because it is me against me, and it is difficult, and I am showing some progress and learning each day that I run.

Now if I could only get a speeding ticket!!!!

23 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

That's why Jill is the coach (and head cheerleader) and I'm not.

I love running new distances bc it's a guaranteed PR. :)

Paul said...

Put your chip on your testicles and then kick them across the finish line as you collapse!

This is called "mid-race problem solving".

A Prelude To... said...

Did she really say that? HILARIOUS!!

Glad you're keeping busy...
that usually keeps me out of trouble...but maybe not for you since the law is after your poor parking patootie.

Chris K said...

I cannot wait for the results of this race. Don't phych yourself out about results. Just stick with the plan and execute it. Then, see what happens. If you run "your" race, who cares what others run.

Jill said...

Crap, I think you should fire me and hire Chris K; he has a little more touchy-feely strategy than what I said!

Doug said...

I think you've got a 1:25:35 in you. Good luck on Saturday!! Since I live in Florida, I think it is still too cold for your testicles to go anywhere but tucked up and in. There's no way they'll be at your knees.

Katie said...

HAVE FUN!!!!! That's all I got :D

Jennifer said...

I bet you won't be last. Run your race!

Anonymous said...

Good luck...good luck...good luck!

Christina said...

Good luck!
(Even though I don't think you will need it. You have progressed so much!)

Jill@Run for the Hills said...

Maybe some decent compression shorts will keep the "misters" where they're supposed to be? Good luck! I'm sure you will meet your goal. If all else fails, start a burpee challenge mid-course and show them all who's boss.

Adrienne said...

Man Jill is one mean mean coach....I love it. Listen to the manly man and just run your race. It's YOU vs. YOU. Now go get'r done!

Johann said...

Geez and I was thinking about asking Jill some advice when I start planning my USA ultra trip (still not sure when what where...even what year). Have fun Andrew, you've done such a lot of work for this you'll do great.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jill's tough on the manhood. Good luck, you will for sure beat your last years self! Now get those parking tickets paid before there's a knock on your door! ;)

Georgia Snail said...

You're going to have a great race! Psst, don't forget to pay the parking meter!

Big Clyde said...

Yes, some strange aggression there toward the genitalia. Good thing she's not a hands-on coach.

Have fun at your race this weekend!

Spike said...

Believe in yourself, and run your brains out. Because, in all honestly, you will feel rather spent when you finish no matter what...so why not try and get it over with faster.

The Green Girl said...

I must say I clearly understood what you should not do based on that statement.

The Green Girl said...

At my speed, I think my testicles will be just fine.

Michael said...

Funny post! Good luck and hope your plan works out. Sucks about the speeding tickets.

Teamarcia said...

Those parking meter police are vultures. Don't even wish for a speeding ticket. You run because you're fabulous.
And if I gave you the impression I thought a BQ under the new standards, was out of reach, that was not my intent. I'm stubborn/stupid enough to believe anything one really wants is in reach.
Now go out there and execute. I think Zensah makes something for that testicle condition, should it occur.

Trevor Oseen said...

Good luck on that plan!

Thanks for the Scotch idea, however, the only Scotch you will find on a "dry" AFB is from the Special Forces and they keep it close...

trailturtle said...

Hi Andrew,
Just found your blog. Haven't made it through your whole story, but loved the "mojo" post.
Congrats on finding a great mojo in your latest 8 mi race--you definitely shined and were brilliant. You must have stuck to the "plan" successfully--way to go to beat your goal!
Best wishes for your continued training and more PR's to come.
Keep the mojo and run well, Ann