Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday (and finish time)

Today Jesus enters into Jerusalem on the Christian calendar of commemoration.

Palm Sunday commemorates the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover. The gospels record the arrival of Jesus riding into the city on a donkey, while the crowds spread their cloaks and palm branches on the street and shouted "Hosanna to the Son of David" and "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" to honor him as their long-awaited Messiah and King.

The significance of Jesus riding a donkey and having his way paved with palm branches is a fulfillment of a prophecy spoken by the prophet Zechariah (Zechariah 9:9). In biblical times, the regional custom called for kings and nobles arriving in procession to ride on the back of a donkey. The donkey was a symbol of peace; those who rode upon them proclaimed peaceful intentions. The laying of palm branches indicated that the king or dignitary was arriving in victory or triumph.

"What?" you say. You thought I was going to post about my Race today! ... ok

* * *

I crossed in under 30 minutes. Probably 29:45-29:50. Very happy with the struggle I had in the running, and the way I booted back into gear and passed three chicks near the end. I'll have a full report tomorrow. Right now it's hot shower time. Race weather was:




1°C (37°F)
blowing snow and rain
Feels Like: -6°C (27°F)
Wind: W 39 km/h (25 m/h)
Wind gusts: 57 km/h (35 m/h)


It was a shotgun start and a chip finish. Which I really should have asked about at first - I don't like these kinds of races. Garmin said I ran 5.04 km in 29:50.  So I improved my PR by about in a minute in the 5k.  Improved through excellent training and a lot of luck!  Official results will be up some time soon (once Bubba drives in the tractor or something ...).

25 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

Whoo hoo! I knew you could do it, and I'm so glad you did it today like you'd planned. :) congratulations!

Mary said...

Awesome!!!!! Did you sprint past the chicks right at the finish? I HATE that. Ha ha. Great job!

Jennifer said...

That is super Andrew! Look forward to reading the report.

Unknown said...

congrats on your race. and happy Palm Sunday. We did a passover celebration at our church.

Johann said...

Fantastic Andrew, congratulations! Enjoy the hot shower and rest. I thought it was spring there by your side...?

bobbi said...

EXCELLENT JOB!!!

Paul said...

Good going Andrew!

Careful with the bragging about passing chicks though..that will end badly eventually. ;)

Laura said...

CONGRATS! The weather in ontario SUCKS today. Great that you raced well in it!

Alison said...

Congratulations -- I'm glad it all came together for you! I look forward to the full report :)

Unknown said...

Wooooo! way to break 30 as planned!

Anne said...

Excellent job getting it done Andrew! Congrats!!

Jill said...

There was no luck in involved! Congratulations!!!! :):):)

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

yay for you andrew!! :) so happy for you! congrats!!

Chris K said...

Told you.

Anonymous said...

It's biblical - you made it under 30 minutes. Actually we all new you would do it. Super job. I look forward to reading the recap.

Ewa said...

jeszcze raz, gratulacje.

Nicole said...

Way to go! Snow??? What the heck? I got hailed on during my run today... isn't it supposed to be spring out?

The Boring Runner said...

SWEEEET!! Congrats!!

Andrea said...

Outstanding! I knew you could do it.

Give us an update on you weight loss journey as well, please! Your headshot looks much thinner than it used to look.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

Bob said...

Way to go Andy!!!

Adrienne said...

Hey I've heard that story before but don't remember it using the word "donkey" wink, wink :) Bringing peace indeed.

Congrats on the great time. Can't wait to hear about it.

Evil Lynne said...

CONGRATS and looking forward to the full report when you are rested and have had time to review your race. :) You can brag about sub-30 in terrible weather conditions, too!

The Green Girl said...

Congratulations! I know you could do it! Whoo hoo!

Raina said...

Nice work, Andrew!
That has to feel fantastic. Bet you were shouting..."Hosanna, hosanna " =D