Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Man found alive on deserted island ... upset that he was found

Hi everyone,

Let me start of with a confession:

(1) My family, the love of my life, is intact, flourishing and being fruitful!
(2) I'm still running (and racing) ... and PR-ing BTW
(3) I've had to let a lot of the online social behavior slip because of time restraints and I didn't want my family to think I had time to blog but no time to hang out with them
(4) no real time to watch the stars, but we did do a little Jupiter watching in September with the family

Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming.

I'm sad to see Chris K disappeared, but happy it was for a good reason - golf clubs (those in the know, know; and those not in the know, don't).  Happy to see that Adam R is still crazy.  I see Emz and SUAR on Facebook sometimes, as well as Gene (who recently ran his first Marathon).  I've kept off dailymile but still live on Garmin Connect.  J. P. is turning me into a running machine.  Watch out Olympic try-outs-when-I'm-50!  I've seen a lot of you on Google+ like E. B., Matty O and Tim W.

In the last 4 months I've discovered some very annoying things:
(1) the Garmin has way too many features I don't use or need, and they are always in the way of the stuff I want to get to - let me change the menu system.
(2) the Garmin has this thing with me in long races or runs ... once I get into a stretch of running ... I get the message that the split database is almost full - Hey Mr. Garmin, I just had you linked to my computer to upload data, you know how often I run, can't you give me a message that says "backup or erase your on-watch database now since it will probably give you a message tomorrow when you run"
(3) my mizunos have to be the hardest shoe I have ever run in - it's like they've been steam rolled into hard plates of steel ... I put some gel inserts into them, but they're not as springy as my last pair of Asic Gels
(4) my ipod is not made for ease of use while strapped to my arm ... I'll need to write my own program for big fat buttons, no stupid graphics or animations, and no 20% power remaining beep or dialog box

One thing that is awesome though: when I get home my wife make s a protein shake for me.  Running in the sub-zero drizzle and wind is all worth it to see her do this.  She is the most awesome Angel on this planet!

* * *

I looks like blogging is an important part of what I do.  I've spoken with several colleagues and business associates (who don't run) and they've all mentioned I need to keep blogging.  The see me quitting.  I never felt I quit.  But apparently in the upper echelons, they don't like it when one of their underlings quits.

26 comments:

Ewa said...

Andrew, glad to see you back. And since I missed your Canadian Thanksgiving, Happy American Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Teamarcia said...

Glad to see you here and all is well, especially the running machine part.
WOw your wife's a keeper. There are no protein shakes for the caveman unless he licks the blender after I've made one for myself. Harsh but true.

Georgia Snail said...

RE: watch database - you gotta go into your watch and delete your data every so often...(3-4 times a year?) Otherwise it will eventually cause an issue with your data upload and only part of the info will tranfer with the training agent.

Johann said...

Good to see you back and well Andrew! I also went (still going) through a period of less blog posts and also for great reasons. Busy at work and also some super family stuff. Keep it going!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Glad to see you came back! Sounds like life is good!

Neil Zee said...

Good to hear from you Andrew! I, like you, have been pressured into getting back to blogging. People seem to like it.

Take care!

The Boring Runner said...

You're back! Glad to hear it. I too am really glad that you're still pounding the pavement. That Jill is a slave driver!

The great thing about blogging is you can do it as frequently or as infrequently as you'd like and all is well. Once a day, once a week, whatever! We'll still be here.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

So glad to hear you're doing well! The blog is the first thing that usually gets dropped for me when my life gets super busy... just do it whenever you have time... it's always there... we're always here :)

Michelle said...

Good to hear from you Andrew and glad all is well!

Raina said...

Glad you are doing OK! Happy Thanksgiving, Andrew :)

Caratunk Girl said...

Hey!! You are back!! YAY

Coy Martinez said...

I'm still sad that Chris K is gone.

I've been so busy that I havent been able to blog much lately. I come home and the kids have boat loads of homework and then they need to be fed and bathed, then my husband wants attention. Imagine that :)

Doesn't leave a whole lot of time for much else!

Kate Geisen said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well and was going to say everything Adam did, but he beat me to it. :)

Hope life keeps treating you well and at least occasionally giving you the opportunity to stop by and say hi.

Jill said...

Glad to see you back on the time sucking blog again...even though someone deserted us, there are some of us who are forever loyal!

Fruit Fly said...

It just feels so right to see a post from you!!

My Garmin just gave me that warning during my long run on Sunday. So then I kept running faster and panicking that my data wouldn't all be saved. Now I guess I need to clear the history and it will be okay?

Caroline said...

One Canadian back!!!

Lost Anne and Shawn while you were away and Neil...well he is on an endless break!!!

Gald you are doing well!

Caroline said...

Gald? no not a new world...GLAD you are well of course!

Staci said...

Good to have you back. There is a season ...

Christina said...

Good to see u back.
And your wife is awesome!!! :)

bobbi said...

Glad to see you back, and glad to hear everything is going well :)

Muminah Tannous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ady william said...

Umrah Experts UK is a well-known travel firm that offers the discounted and hajj and Umrah Packages for the Muslim brothers and sisters. Don’t miss at all to book your dreamy packages now!

Ady Grewal said...

Save big to book Islamic Travel UK Hajj and Umrah Packages to accomplish the divine and blessed worship in the House of Allah. Your Journey is started from London Heathrow to Jeddah or Madinah, Saudi Arabia.

Loan offer here said...

Available Instant Loan Offer For Everyone In Need Of Loan
We stand apart from other lenders because
we believe in customer service just 2% interest rate,
both long and short term you have come
to the right place I'll advise you can contact us via email
abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
whatspp Number +918929490461
Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

Aaban Raqib said...

Euro Africa Travel UK is a notable travel firm that offers the limited hajj and Umrah Packages for the Muslim siblings and sisters. Try not to miss at all to book your marvelous packages now!

Charles Themas said...

Qatar Airways a leading airline offers exceptional customer service. Discover top-notch travel experiences with Qatar Airways renowned service and support.
What is Qsuite Qatar Airways?
when can I check in online with Qatar airways
How much is qatar airways business class?
How early can I check in Qatar airways?
How to get extra baggage allowance Qatar airways?
Easy Packages