Sunday, July 11, 2010

Good Samaritan and Hup Holland Hup

The Sunday's Liturgy surrounded the question of "who is my neighbor?" and the Good Samaritan. Basically we are good neighbors when we approach the weak and show them mercy without wanting anything in return.
Spain has a fabulous football nation. They have a wonderful team, young stars, a great league, strong fan support, and an envious history in the world cup. They were at one time in history overlords of the Netherlands as well. (The English often offered the lowlands a good leveraging push to separate - for which the Spanish were never happy.)

I'm not much of a Dutch fan, but as a Good Christian I want to show mercy to the Spanish team. The only way that can happen is if they are soundly beaten by the Netherlands, robbed and stripped of their clothes and left for dead. Only then can I come and offer them my mercy - as a Good Christian. My faith has often asked me to accept paradoxes.

My cheer for today's game is "Hup Holland!"

===============

Here's my wife and I wishing David Villa and Fernando Torres well.

No comments: